Regardless of how sophisticated your palate, there are several universal truths when it comes to appetizers-everyone loves pigs in a blanket, vegetables and dip, potato chips and onion dip and deviled eggs.
The Devil Made Me Do It!Recipe courtesy of Ellen Gutman Chenaux
- 6 eggs, hardboiled but still slightly soft in the middle
- 2 1/2 tablespoons avocado, mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced chives
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Garnish: paprika and chopped parsley
Slice the eggs in half lengthwise and remove the yolk. Set aside the whites. Place the yolks in a bowl and mash them with a masher or the back of a spoon until smooth.
Add the avocado to the yolks, add the remaining ingredients and mix with a spoon.
Using a melon baller, teaspoon or pastry bag, fill the whites with the yolk mixture.
Garnish and chill. Bring the deviled eggs closer to room temperature before serving.
This is a crowd pleaser for hors d'oeuvres but I have also served deviled eggs as a breakfast entree in those muggy hot months.