30+ years later and these muffins are still a guest favorite.
Brampton Blueberry or Peach MuffinsBy Danielle Hanscom Thode of Brampton Inn
- For the batter: ½ c. unsalted butter (1 stick) at room temp
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder plus 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups blueberries or peeled and diced fresh peeled peaches
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- ½ cup sour cream
- For the topping: ½ cup flour
- ½ cup confectioners sugar
- Pinch salt
- ½ stick butter, melted
- add the zest of one lemon for the blueberry muffins or 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg for the peach muffins
Heat oven to 375⁰F.
Grease 12 regular muffin cups.
In medium-sized bowl, beat butter until creamy. Beat in sugar until pale and fluffy. Mix in eggs, one at a time. Mix in vanilla.
Mix flour, baking powder and salt.
Fold in half the flour with a spatula, then half the sour ream. Add remaining flour and sour cream.
Fold in blueberries or peaches. Scoop batter into muffin cups.
Add crumb topping. Bake 25-30 minutes.
Let muffins cool at least 30 minutes in pan before serving.