As I’m writing this post, it’s 95 degrees and humid. A typical day for an Arkansas summer. Although I love summer, I don’t love cooking in the summer. Turning on the oven is rare, except when the grandkids need chocolate chip cookies. Tonight’s dinner will be this “bowl”, which I am also serving to guests. It’s the 3rd time in 2 weeks that I’ve made this recipe. I love it, and trust that I won’t tire of it throughout the entire summer.
Mango Avocado Rice & Bean BowlRecipe courtesy of Kristie Rosset of Lookout Point Lakeside Inn
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh peeled ginger
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup cooked brown rice, cooled
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 mango, peeled and cubed
- ½ small red onion, diced
- 2 small carrots, julienned or shaved
- 1 radish, thinly sliced
- ½ avocado, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons goat cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
Make dressing first. Place lime juice, cilantro leaves, water, oil, honey, ginger and salt in mini-food processor or blender. Puree.
Pour dressing into medium bowl. Add the beans, rice, tomatoes, mango, onion, radishes, carrots and garbanzo beans. Stir gently to combine. Divide evenly between two bowls. Sprinkle with goat cheese, and top with fresh cilantro.
Enjoy this easy and healthy meal.