Insipid sausage for breakfast again? Not with Jazzy Sausage! Michael Salmon, owner/chef of Hartstone Inn, in Camden, Maine, created “Cumin-Spiced Bacon and Sausage Roll” to serve with breakfast. At Birchwood Inn, we left out the bacon and rolled the sausage in the spices. This was one of our WOW! recipes.
Jazzy Sausage – Sugar and Spice and Everything NiceBy Ellen Gutman Chenaux
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (Michael also adds 2 teaspoons whole cumin)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons anise seeds
- Sausage links
Mix the sugar and spices together. Store in an air-tight container.
When you are going to serve the sausage, preheat the oven to 400F.
Spoon four tablespoons of the spice mix on a plate, and roll eight sausage links in the spice mix until well-coated.
Place the sausage on a small cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
Store the rest of the sugar-spice mixture in an air-tight container for the next time you are having sausage. The Jazzy Sausage can be served as an accompaniment to either a savory or a sweet breakfast.