Although Valentine’s Day just sped by, this could be the perfect treat for a romantic dinner anytime or a nice dinner with friends. It happens to be gluten free! This is a very rich tart.
1 cup whole almonds
3/4 cup granulated, white sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup unsalted, butter at room
3 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 ripe Bartlett pears
juice of 1/2 lemon
3 Tablespoons clear jelly, such as apple or cranappple
1/4 cup sliced almonds
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray bottom and sides off an eight inch tart pan with removable base with pan coating such as PAM. Set aside.
- Pulse almonds, sugar and cocoa powder in a food processor until very fine.
- Add soft butter, eggs, almond extract and salt. Pulse until everything is well combined.
- Spread dough into prepared tart pan, pressing down until evenly distributed.
- Peel and core pears. Slice each pear into 16 slices. Drizzle with lemon juice and mix well. Let slices dry on a paper towel.
- Gently arrange the slices, slightly over lapping, in a concentric circle on top of crust. Do not press down.
- Place tart pan on a sheet pan and bake for 45 to 50 min. until crust is slightly puffy. Transfer tart pan to a wire rack and let cool.
- To soften jelly, heat it in microwave for a few seconds. Gently brush the pears with the soften jelly. Let set for 15 min. before unmolding the tart.
- Take the sliced almonds in your hand and gently press it onto the edge of the tart.